Combining its hard-earned reputation as a rugged, load-hauling option for extended backpacking trips with the revolutionary Anti-Gravity suspension, the Osprey Aether AG 85 offers a dynamic, responsive fit, 5000+ cubic inches of storage capacity, and a weight-carrying capacity of up to 60 pounds!
Osprey's innovative Anti-Gravity suspension system equips the pack with weight-carrying efficiency, breathability, and a contoured fit. A broad-mesh, tensioned backpanel stretches all the way out across the lumbar portion of the pack. Though the pack maintains constant, responsive contact with the wearer, warm air can escape freely because of the separation caused between the mesh and the pack itself. Beneath the mesh, a peripheral LightWire aluminum frame. A sliding sternum strap and adjustable load-lifter straps further enhance fit.
Accommodating backpackers of different heights, the pack is available in your choice of sizes. The Small size fits torsos ranging from 16”-19”, the Medium fits from 18”-21”, and the Large accommodates torso lengths ranging from 20”-23”. An Anti-Gravity IsoForm harness and a fully-padded, moldable IsoForm hipbelt maximize performance, fit, and comfort. These components are interchangeable. NOTE: The Aether AG 85 ships standard with component sizes that match the torso size or “style” of the pack. If you require customization of components, please leave detailed instructions about what size hipbelt and/or harness you need in the “Order Comment” field on the “Order Review” screen at checkout or call us at 1.800.617.0643 to place your customized order directly with one of our Gear Specialists.
The pack’s large main compartment is reached through a traditional top-loading access point but a large J-shaped zipper on the front of the pack also allows quick access to the interior. Additionally, a lower compartment serves as a dedicated spot for stowing your sleeping bag or other clothes and gear. A removable divider enables you to open up the interior to create a single spacious compartment. A large front pocket utilizes welded stretch woven fabric to serve as a convenient storage spot for discarded layers or other gear. Elastic side pockets are ideal for stashing water bottles or other smaller items. Integrated hipbelt pockets provide a spot to keep essentials close at hand. Side compression straps enable you to cinch down your pack to keep contents safely and securely in place and also double as lash points for additional gear. Buckled straps that pass over the front of the packbag are designed to further enhance the compressibility of the pack and provide yet another place to lash gear. A removable top lid protects the contents of the pack and can be removed entirely to save weight . Adding increased versatility, the lid also serves as a streamlined, stand-alone daypack with its own minimalist shoulder straps, an adjustable sternum strap, and an internal hydration sleeve.
Other features include integrated Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole loops, ice axe loops with bungee tie-offs, removable sleeping pad straps, and an internal sleeve that makes the pack hydration compatible (hydration system sold separately).
The Osprey Aether AG 85 internal frame backpack is available in your choice of size and color options.
- Removable top-lid converts to DayLid daypack
- Dual upper side compression straps
- Dual access side stretch mesh pockets
- Lower Inside-Out compression straps
- Zippered hipbelt pockets
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment
- Additional main compartment access
- Large stretch mesh front panel pocket
- Dual front compression straps with StraightJacket compression
- Dual ice tool loops with bungee tie-offs
- Zippered sleeping bag compartment with removable divider
- Removable sleeping pad straps
- Integrated FlapJacket cover for lidless use
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve
- Large front J-zip access to main compartment
Best Use Backpacking Access Top Loading w/ Side Access and Sleeping Bag Compartment Warranty Limited Lifetime Volume Small: 5004 cu in
Medium: 5187 cu in
Large: 5370 cu in
Type Internal Frame Backpack Sternum Strap Yes; Adjustable Maximum Weight 60 lbs Material Main: 210D Nylon Dobby
Accent: 210D High Tenacity Nylon Shadow Box
Bottom: 500D Nylon Packcloth
Item Weight Small: 5.32 lbs
Medium: 5.37 lbs
Large: 5.42 lbs
Torso Adjustment Yes Hydration Compatible Yes Frame Material Aluminum Fits Torso Small: 16"-19"
Dimensions 34" x 17" x 15" Detachable Daypack Yes
Real Customer Reviews
- Very large backpack.
Likes: This is meant for some seriously long distance hiking. Super comfortable backpack.
Dislikes: The 85 was too big for me I ended up going with the 70, I'm six foot one and my size is a medium which makes a big difference from a large on how it sits on your shoulders.
- A comfortable big load hauler
Likes: Very comfortable hip belt and shoulder straps and AG back panel. Nice and easy to reach side mesh pockets. Transfers load well to hips. Very adjustable and modular. Having the zipper on front panel to access main pack is convenient.
Dislikes: Convertible top lid/daypack is nice but adds about 13 oz to the pack weight. I have a 31 inch waist and the small waist belt is too small and the medium is a bit too big. I went with the size large to fit my and my kids' gear without having to bring the top lid.
- Excellent Pack and Comfortable for its Size
Likes: I LOVE the colors of this pack. I'm not a fan of the bright and wild colors on some packs, but this one is fantastic. It's obviously made of great, durable material. Here are some thinks I love about the pack:
- The shoulder straps are SUPER beefy
- Great zippers that are easy to use
- Versatility of the top lid (I love how it turns into a backpack instead of a fanny or shoulder strap)
- Lots of compression straps
- The anti-gravity suspension material has made a more durable upgrade from that on the Atmos AG
- Internal AND external hydration sleeve
- Deep, external side pockets
Dislikes: - The hip belt can feel uncomfortable before it has had a chance to break in.
- The zippered waist pockets can be a little hassle to zip completely closed while wearing the pack (I have yet to find a pack where this isn't an issue though...)
- It's not as comfortable and doesn't feel as supportive as the Atmos AG suspension system. It's still better than any other pack I've worn of its size though.
Earn Gear Points for Reviewing Products
Join our FREE Inside Edge program and receive 20% off a full-price item. Earn discount points for reviewing items you purchase and receive exclusive discounts.
What are points?
As a member you can share reviews of items you purchase and we'll reward you with discount points valued at 5% of the item's original purchase price.
It’s EASY and it’s FREE.Sign Up Today »