The MSR SE200 Community Chlorine Maker was designed to provide large amounts of drinking water for isolated rural communities, post-disaster populations and other people who lack access to clean drinking water. To serve these communities effectively, this high-tech but easy-to-operate system produces a small amount of liquid chlorine, which can then be used to disinfect large amounts of water taken from local sources.
The device uses a simple chemical reaction involving water, salt, and electricity to produce the chlorine. Because these components are relatively easy to acquire, the SE200 can be used in a wide variety of locations and situations.
To produce chlorine, simply mix the water with the salt and add the combination to the SE200. Attach the device to a source of electricity. The push of a single button starts the chemical process. After about 5 minutes, an indicator light and an audible signal will confirm that the process is complete.
A single run produces enough chlorine to treat 55 gallons of water. Once the disinfectant is produced, a specially-designed container allows the chlorine to be stored for up to 24 hours so it can be transported to nearby water supplies.
The SE200 Chlorine Maker includes clips to attach it to a 12-volt battery. A single 80 amp-hour 12-volt car battery, used exclusively for this device, can supply enough power to produce the chlorine required to treat up to 40,000 liters of water.
MSR made the 12-volt battery connections standard to accommodate operation in disaster situations or conditions where electricity is not available. However, the SE200 is adaptable: it can be plugged into the cigarette lighter of a vehicle or even a wall socket. An SE200 Power Supply Kit or SE200 12 Volt Auto Adaptor (sold separately) is required for these types of power supply.
The MSR SE200 Community Chlorine Maker is an innovative offering for emergency situations or communities with limited access to drinkable water.
California residents: view proposition 65 WARNING
- Requires an 80 amp-hour 12-volt battery for operation. Adapters (sold separately) available for cigarette lighters and wall sockets.
- Easy-to-use operation includes indicator lights and sounds that signal a successful completion or trouble-shooting options
- A single five-minute run produces enough chlorine to treat 200 liters (55 gallons) of water
- One 80 amp-hour 12-volt car battery will supply enough power to treat 40,000 liters of water
- Smart circuitry produces a consistent chlorine concentration, while durable construction withstands daily repeated use
- Includes specially-designed container that allows the chlorine to be safely transported or stored for up to 24 hours
- Validated by end users in over a dozen low-resource settings, including communities in Kenya, Mali, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Thailand
Best Use Emergency Preparedness Item Weight 1 lb 11 oz Other Effective against bacteria, protozoa, and viruses Warranty Limited Lifetime Capacity Creates enough chlorine to make 55 gallons of potable water at a time
Real Customer Reviews
Earn Gear Points for Reviewing Products
Join our FREE Inside Edge program and receive 20% off a full-price item. Earn discount points for reviewing items you purchase and receive exclusive discounts.
What are points?
As a member you can share reviews of items you purchase and we'll reward you with discount points valued at 5% of the item's original purchase price.
It’s EASY and it’s FREE.Sign Up Today »