The Kelty Gunnison 2 with Footprint offers an excellent set of backpacking features at an affordable price. With 2 doors 2 vestibules and internal storage features it’s a whole lot of tent for the money you'll spend.
Swivel-hubbed aluminum poles offer strength and stability. Color-coded clip construction makes the tent a cinch to set up and the freestanding design allows you to pitch the tent and then move it around your campsite to find the optimum position eliminating an uncomfortable night's sleep over an exposed root or rock.
The Gunnison 2 provides 30 square feet of interior space and 2 doors provide convenient access. Offering 22 square feet of combined exterior storage space the dual vestibules are perfect for stowing gear and muddy boots. A gear loft (sold separately) can be hung from the loops integrated into the ceiling of the tent to maximize livability by allowing you to store clothes and gear overhead.
Mesh wall panels and fly vents provide great airflow preventing condensation build-up on the interior of the tent. A PU-coated polyester- rainfly provides excellent weather and UV protection. The included footprint further protects the Kelty Gunnison 2 against ground water roots and rocks.
California residents: view proposition 65 WARNING
- Exceptional head and shoulder room
- Footprint included
- Compact carry cube
- 2 door/2 vestibule
- Door storage pockets
- Freestanding design
- All-in-one hubbed pole design
- Kelty Hug Clip
- Kelty Connect pole connection
- Quick stash door storage pockets
- Fully seam taped construction
- No-see-um mesh and fabric wall panels
- Fixed center pole hub
- Kelty Connect fly attachment
- Fly vents
- Awning vestibule (one side)
- Quick stash vestibule door storage pocket (one side)
- Fully seam taped
- Guyout points
Best Use Backpacking Other Footprint Included Warranty Limited Lifetime Packed Size 16" x 12" x 4" Average Min Weight 5 lbs 1 oz Average Packed Weight 6 lbs 1 oz Interior Height 43" Floor Area 30 sq ft Floor Dimension 89" x 51" Vestibule Area 14 sq ft + 8 sq ft Doors 2 Pole Type Aluminum Number of Poles 2 hubbed Freestanding Yes Clips or Sleeves Clips Material Wall: 68D Polyester and No-See-Um Mesh
Floor: 68D Polyester, 1800mm
Fly: 68D Polyester, 1800mm
Seam Sealed Taped Seams
Real Customer Reviews
- Scout Worthy
Likes: I bought for my 11-year-old Son for BSA He puts it up with ease it also comes down and stows very easy
Handled a bad rainstorm and stuff remained dry
Dislikes: As of this date, he hasn't said he dislikes anything about it
- Great Value
Likes: Great tent that I use for motorcycle camping. The unique pack size fits in my saddlebags easily and I love how short the tent poles are. The included footprint is really appreciated. The vestibules are nice and roomy for all my gear after I unpack my motorcycle. Set up is a breeze and it packs down easily into the stuff sack.
Dislikes: My only wish is that it would include a gear loft. Other than that I can't think of anything I dislike about this tent. It has been a great purchase so far.
- Great Tent
Likes: Easy to fit in back.
Easy to assemble and breakdown.
Handles well in the wind.
Dislikes: Tight with two people, but still great tent.
- Nice well constructed tent for the price. I have not exposed it to rain.
Likes: Quality construction, easy to set up and take down, includes footprint.
Dislikes: Heavy for backpacking, small for two people.
- Beautiful Tent and Very Innovative
Likes: I can't say enough about how much I love the colors of this tent. The remodeled Gunnisson is the best in its class when it comes to features, innovation, and (once again) color schemes. I'm not much of a fan of the wild orange colors like one of its progenitors was, but surely there's a reason why the Gunnison has been in the Kelty line for such a long time.
I've owned a lot of Kelty tents (the TN2 & 3, Trail Ridge 3, Salida 2, and the Gunnison 2.3 (2014 model). I also still own a four person Snowfall that my family bought in 1994, and it's still a great tent today. I say this because I want to add some credibility to what I'm about to say. Kelty makes durable, quality tents, and I can tell that the 2017 Gunnison falls into that category. The bummer is that it seemed apparent that the tent I purchased was defective after setting it up in my living room (my only reason for not rating this five stars). Backcountry Edge was very kind and generous to allow me to return the tent in exchange for something else. But here are all the things I think make this tent an excellent deal for the price:
- It comes with a footprint
- The poles are beefy and durable
- The storage roll-top sack can be used as a bag to hold food and then hang up in a tree to keep away from animals
- It came with plenty of stakes!! (This seems to be rare these days...)
- The rain fly has kickstand vents and offers full-coverage
- It's super fast and intuitive to set up
- It's really roomy for two people!
- It's strong and, if properly gutted out, would likely hold up well against wind
Since I had owned the 2014 model of the Gunnison 2, here are a few observations of things Kelty seems to have improved upon:
- The door shove-it pocket appears to be deeper and more likely to keep the door in place where the 2014 version always made me question whether a strong gust of wind might blow it out of the pocket.
- No more jake's feet and not a new grommet system. I don't know if this new system is more durable or easier to use, but it is a new idea and I give Kelty kudos for thinking out of the box.
- Kelty got rid of the swivel hub and now has a double-armed clip used to stablize the tent at its hub.
- There appears to be more mesh on this version than the 2014. The previous version had that tafita material connect to the top of the ceiling.
- The older models of the Gunnisson had a rectangular stretch of mesh near the head and feet of the tent to offer more ventilation. I think Kelty got rid of that though because I had read old reviews from people saying that dust got into the tent.
Now, would I recommend this tent? It depends... If someone wants to use it for car camping and short backpacking trips, then absolutely yes! Longer backpacking trips might also be good too if the load was split between two people (because there's definitely plenty of space in there). If one person is taking it on a long backpacking trip though, unless they have really strong legs, I might worry that the weight might be too much. I'm the type that doesn't like to be cramped in a tent with another person, so I usually use a two-person tent more like a one-person.
I really don't think anyone could ever go wrong with a Kelty tent. They're made well and backed up well with a great warranty. Great peace of mind can come from buying any of their products.
Dislikes: I don't feel like I can complain here too much because, once again, I only got this tent set up in my living room and never took it outdoors. But here are at least a few things I noticed that aren't necessarily huge problems but something I didn't like.
- The tent doesn't come with a gear loft, and Kelty always doesn't offer a gear loft that matches the tent. All they have out there is this orange one that would clash with a tent. Maybe a universal gear loft might work in there though.
- I worry about not enough ventilation... Take this part with a grain of salt, because I did only set it up in my living room. But it felt a little stuffy inside when I climbed in. However, you do get much more privacy with the rain fly off with this tent than you do with some other models. So maybe that's a trade off. Once again though, this probably isn't an issue but I thought I'd mention it. With a breeze or any bit of wind, I'm sure someone would be fine.
There's not much not to like with this tent though!
Earn Gear Points for Reviewing Products
Join our FREE Inside Edge program and receive 20% off a full-price item. Earn discount points for reviewing items you purchase and receive exclusive discounts.
What are points?
As a member you can share reviews of items you purchase and we'll reward you with discount points valued at 5% of the item's original purchase price.
It’s EASY and it’s FREE.Sign Up Today »