The innovative Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 3 mtnGLO tent combines ultra-lightweight construction, roomy livability, and built-in LED lighting, making it a feature-rich option for 3-season backpacking.
Stretching a full 90" in length, the interior of the Copper Spur HV UL 3 mtnGLO tent is 70" wide at the head and tapers to a width of 62" at the feet. With 41square feet of interior space and a trail weight of only 3 pounds, 7 ounces, the tent offers ample space for 3 or serves as a spacious shelter for 2. Dual vestibules offer a combined 18 square feet of additional weather-protected external storage space. Interior mesh pockets provide places to stash gear and clothes while media pockets located above the sleeping area enable headphone/ear bud cord routing from phones or other devices. Integrated gear loft loops offer a connection point for the Big Agnes Triangle Gear Loft (sold separately).
Offering enough light to effectively illuminate the interior of the tent patent-pending mtnGLO technology integrates a strand of LED lights directly into the tent seams. Durable and flexible, the strand holds up to the wear of pitching and tearing down. A simple push-button controller allows you to toggle through On, Off, and 50% brightness settings. The light is powered by 3 AAA batteries (not included) but can also be lit by any USB power source.
The Copper Spur HV UL 3 mtnGLO tent's DAC Featherlite NFL aluminum poles are both lightweight and durable. The single hub/pole design works in conjunction with the tent body's integrated clips to make setting up the tent fast, easy, and intuitive. An additional short section of pole runs across the roof of the tent and connects easily via an innovative clip attachment, pulling the tent body taut to increase the verticality of the interior walls and helping to maximize the spaciousness of the two vestibules. An eco-friendly anodizing process is used by DAC to treat the poles without the toxic chemicals traditionally used on aluminum tent poles. Reflecting an overall commitment to maintaining as light a packed weight as possible, superlight aluminum J stakes are included to further secure the freestanding tent.
Ample mesh on the tent body and the large D-shaped doors encourages cross ventilation and provides circulation to fight condensation build-up. Coated with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane, the rip-stop nylon floor and rainfly are lightweight and durable. All of the tent's seams are seal-taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (no PVC or VOCs) to further protect the tent from the elements.
If you really want to travel light, leave the tent body at home and use the rainfly alone with the optional Copper Spur HV UL 3 Footprint (sold separately) for a tarp-style set-up that weighs a mere 2 pounds, 13 ounces.
- Features patent-pending mtnGLO Tent Light Technology using durable LED lights to illuminate the interior of your tent with enough light to sort gear, play cards and hang out with friends without blinding them with a headlamp
- A simple push button controller with three settings – on, off and 50% brightness – controls the mtnGLO lights
- LED light strand is integrated into tent seams and is durable and flexible enough to withstand repeated tent pitching and stuffing
- Requires three AAA batteries (not included) to operate the mtnGLO light controller
- CE certified
- Light routing that keeps the light above your head on the ceiling where you need it most
- Based on the features of the best-selling, award-winning Copper Spur ultralight tents, the Copper Spur HV UL design allows for high volume pole architecture resulting in steeper walls without adding weight
- Four-way high volume hub design increases strength by 25% and the useable interior volume by 20% when compared to previous versions of the Copper Spur
- Two doors and two vestibules with storm flaps on the vestibule zippers
- Quick Stash on tent body door makes stowing unzipped door quick and easy
- Proprietary random rip-stop pattern nylon is 25% stronger providing maximum durability
- Two-tone mesh provides privacy while allowing for star gazing transparency
- Massive ceiling pocket provides great storage space
- Media pockets located above sleeping area enable clean ear bud cord routing from phones or other devices.
- One fly vent
- Velcro tabs connect fly to pole structure providing perfect pitch and extra stability
- Ready to pitch; with pre-cut guy lines and tensioners attached to fly
- Reflective guylines and webbing on tent corners
- Easy grip zipper pulls
- Fly and floor are silicone treated proprietary patterned random rip-stop nylon with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
- Fly and floor feature a unique weave made with a high tenacity yarn and high filament count which increases fabric tear strength by 25%, decreases weight of the material and improves water resistance
- Tent body is Proprietary patterned random rip-stop nylon breathable and polyester mesh
- All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's)
Best Use Backpacking Other Integrated LED lighting Warranty Limited Lifetime Packed Size 6.5" x 21.5" Average Min Weight 3 lb, 8 oz Average Packed Weight 3 lb, 15 oz Interior Height 43" Floor Area 41 sq ft Floor Dimension 90" x 70" (at the widest point) Vestibule Area 9 sq ft + 9 sq ft Doors 2 Pole Type DAC Featherlite NFL aluminum Number of Poles 1 Freestanding Yes Clips or Sleeves Clips Interior Storage Interior Pockets Material Walls: Ripstop Nylon and Polyester Mesh
Floor and Fly: Silicone-treated Ripstop Nylon with 1200mm PU
Seam Sealed Yes
Real Customer Reviews
- Not my first Big Agnes, great upgrade
Likes: Wife and I are upgrading our gear. We’ve had Emerald Mountain SL3 for years and loved it. This is an upgraded version of that tent. I might have been concerned about durability of light materials but my previous tent performed excellently. I’m expecting the same.
It’s a palace for two campers. Lights are excellent addition for little weight penalty. Sets up super easy.
Dislikes: Not cheap but thanks for price match
- Get This Tent
Likes: This is the absolute perfect 2 person tent! Rated for 3 but perfect for two. The construction of this thing is well thought through and it's held up with zero issues in the rain and wind. The dual access doors are perfectly designed, the headroom is to die for and the weight for packing it in is as light as you can get for a tent this size. We originally bought the one without the Mountain Glo system but returned it for this one. Those lights are a MAJOR improvement to life in a tent. Yeah, we all have headlamps but trust me, once you have the functionality of the lights you won't want to go back. Can't say enough good about this thing.
Dislikes: I really can't think of anything I don't like about this tent.
- One of the best 2 person backpacking tents!
Likes: Amazing weight for a roomy 2-person tent!
Room enough for 3 side by side if you're friends are ok with that!
Built in lights are really convenient!
Dislikes: It's pricy.
Doesn't include footprint (but most companies don't do that nowadays alway).
- My 3lb 7oz home away from home
Likes: I was looking for a lighter tent to replace an older Cabela’s XPG-2 person tent which consumed about 8lbs in my backpack. Over the last decade the Cabela’s tent served me well, but backpacking Isle Royale in August of 2017 showed me that it was time to look at ways to lighten my load.
After a ton of research and blog reading, I settled on the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 MTNGLO to not only lighten my load, but for simplicity of pitching. Upon arrival it was immediately noticeable how much lighter this tent was (and that was still in the boxed it shipped in) compared to my Cabela’s tent. It immediately went up in the living room within a couple of minutes. Set up is easy and can be done by one person. The construction of the tent feels solid as well. Some reviewers noted how thin the material of the tent feels, and while that is noticeable, I have no concerns of it ripping or the durability (I do plan on using a footprint).
The tent feels very spacious, owed in large part to the high walled design, but I feel would still be tight for three occupants.
Dislikes: None yet. Eager to see how it hold up in the field.
- Good results from first few uses
Likes: Lightweight. Easy to set up.
Dislikes: None - yet.
Likes: This tent is amazing.
- Perfect tent
Likes: - Lots of room
- nice design.
- easy to set up
Dislikes: Footprint is not included
- Kudos to the architect
Likes: I'm glad Big Agnes put the architect's name on this tent. He deserves a lot of credit for engineering such a spacious, yet compact and easy to set up tent! I'v been backpacking for 40+ years, have owned 4 tents, and this is by far the best one! Although I got the MTNGLO version, I don't really need/use that feature. The Fly vent is a great idea as well!
Dislikes: None so far.
- Very good tent
Likes: The tent is very light. It sets up quickly and very easily. It feels spacious. The lights are the big feature here. Having them built in is a game changer. They make the experience of getting set up or doing anything else after dark so much easier. They also fold up surprisingly easily in the storage of the tent. You don't even notice they are there when storing it.
Dislikes: For a tent of this price, the footprint should be included. Additionally, there are only eight stakes included. To fully set up the tent with the rain fly, you need 12. Again, a full complement should be included at this price point.
Earn Gear Points for Reviewing Products
Join our FREE Inside Edge program and receive 20% off a full-price item. Earn discount points for reviewing items you purchase and receive exclusive discounts.
What are points?
As a member you can share reviews of items you purchase and we'll reward you with discount points valued at 5% of the item's original purchase price.
It’s EASY and it’s FREE.Sign Up Today »