The innovative Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2 mtnGLO tent combines ultra-lightweight construction, roomy livability, and built-in LED lighting, making it a feature-rich option for 3-season backpacking.
Stretching a full 88" in length, the interior of the Copper Spur HV UL 2 mtnGLO tent is 52" wide at the head and tapers to a width of 42" at the feet. With 29 square feet of interior space and a trail weight of only 2 pounds, 15 ounces, the tent offers ample space for 2 or serves as a spacious shelter for solo hikers. Dual vestibules offer a combined 18 square feet of additional weather-protected external storage space. Interior mesh pockets provide places to stash gear and clothes while media pockets located above the sleeping area enable headphone/ear bud cord routing from phones or other devices. Integrated gear loft loops offer a connection point for the Big Agnes Triangle Gear Loft (sold separately).
Offering enough light to effectively illuminate the interior of the tent patent-pending mtnGLO technology integrates a strand of LED lights directly into the tent seams. Durable and flexible, the strand holds up to the wear of pitching and tearing down. A simple push-button controller allows you to toggle through On, Off, and 50% brightness settings. The light is powered by 3 AAA batteries (not included) but can also be lit by any USB power source.
The Copper Spur HV UL 2 mtnGLO tent's DAC Featherlite NFL aluminum poles are both lightweight and durable. The single hub/pole design works in conjunction with the tent body's integrated clips to make setting up the tent fast, easy, and intuitive. An additional short section of pole runs across the roof of the tent and connects easily via an innovative clip attachment, pulling the tent body taut to increase the verticality of the interior walls and helping to maximize the spaciousness of the two vestibules. An eco-friendly anodizing process is used by DAC to treat the poles without the toxic chemicals traditionally used on aluminum tent poles. Reflecting an overall commitment to maintaining as light a packed weight as possible, superlight aluminum J stakes are included to further secure the freestanding tent.
Ample mesh on the tent body and the large D-shaped doors encourages cross ventilation and provides circulation to fight condensation build-up. Coated with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane, the rip-stop nylon floor and rainfly are lightweight and durable. All of the tent's seams are seal-taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (no PVC or VOCs) to further protect the tent from the elements.
If you really want to travel light, leave the tent body at home and use the rainfly alone with the optional Copper Spur HV UL 2 Footprint (sold separately) for a tarp-style set-up that weighs a mere 2 pounds, 4 ounces.
- Features patent-pending mtnGLO Tent Light Technology using durable LED lights to illuminate the interior of your tent with enough light to sort gear, play cards and hang out with friends without blinding them with a headlamp
- A simple push button controller with three settings – on, off and 50% brightness – controls the mtnGLO lights
- LED light strand is integrated into tent seams and is durable and flexible enough to withstand repeated tent pitching and stuffing
- Requires three AAA batteries (not included) to operate the mtnGLO light controller
- CE certified
- Light routing that keeps the light above your head on the ceiling where you need it most
- Based on the features of the best-selling, award-winning Copper Spur ultralight tents, the Copper Spur HV UL design allows for high volume pole architecture resulting in steeper walls without adding weight
- Four-way high volume hub design increases strength by 25% and the useable interior volume by 20% when compared to previous versions of the Copper Spur
- Two doors and two vestibules with storm flaps on the vestibule zippers
- Quick Stash on tent body door makes stowing unzipped door quick and easy
- Proprietary random rip-stop pattern nylon is 25% stronger providing maximum durability
- Two-tone mesh provides privacy while allowing for star gazing transparency
- Massive ceiling pocket provides great storage space
- Media pockets located above sleeping area enable clean ear bud cord routing from phones or other devices.
- One fly vent
- Velcro tabs connect fly to pole structure providing perfect pitch and extra stability
- Ready to pitch; with pre-cut guy lines and tensioners attached to fly
- Reflective guylines and webbing on tent corners
- Easy grip zipper pulls
- Fly and floor are silicone treated proprietary patterned random rip-stop nylon with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
- Fly and floor feature a unique weave made with a high tenacity yarn and high filament count which increases fabric tear strength by 25%, decreases weight of the material and improves water resistance
- Tent body is Proprietary patterned random rip-stop nylon breathable and polyester mesh
- All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's)
Best Use Backpacking Other Integrated LED lighting Warranty Limited Lifetime Packed Size 4" x 19.5" Average Min Weight 2 lb, 13 oz Average Packed Weight 3 lb, 2 oz Interior Height 40" Floor Area 29 sq ft Floor Dimension 88" x 52" (at the widest point) Vestibule Area 9 sq ft + 9 sq ft Doors 2 Pole Type DAC Featherlite NFL aluminum Number of Poles 1 Freestanding Yes Clips or Sleeves Clips Interior Storage Interior Pockets Material Walls: Ripstop Nylon and Polyester Mesh
Floor and Fly: Silicone-treated Ripstop Nylon with 1200mm PU
Seam Sealed Yes
Real Customer Reviews
- Super light, well designed, great features
Likes: -Gear pockets, one in each corner at the head end plus one overhead that has an opening to run headphones
-loops for a gear loft if you want or to hang items like a lantern or flashlight
-2 doors: no climbing over your wife to get in or out at night and make her wish she married her boyfriend from high school
-vestibule space outside both doors
-it screams quality, from the smooth connecting, color-coded DAC feather lite pole system to the semi-circle zipper toggles to the little kickstand thing that pops up to hold open the vent on the rain fly.
-built-in lighting is actually a lot cooler than I thought it would be: I didn't buy it for this feature but it is nice to have long lasting LED lighting overhead instead of using a headlamp at night
Dislikes: -it's ultralight, and that means ultralight materials that require extra care to avoid tearing, but I mean that's just the price you pay for going ultralight
- A price to being this dry
Likes: I pitched this tent in the rain, and for the next two days it rained almost nonstop.
The good news was that the tent went up so quickly & easily that the inside stayed pretty dry while I got the fly in place. Staked it with just 4 guy lines (8 are possible) and got my gear in. It stayed bone dry inside with no leaks, no drips, nothing. Kept me sheltered and my gear was dry even in the vestibules.
Lots of storage pockets and all were easily at hand in the head portion of the tent. Ventilation was simple and worked even during the rain without letting water infiltrate the tent itself.
Dislikes: The MtnGlo never worked. I've heard this is a touch thing, so I'm not sure it was a complete surprise. My larger 4-person MtnGlo tent has never had a moment's trouble with the lights, so this might just've been a bad tent.
I'm a bigger guy (6'0", 250+ lbs) and maneuvering inside with my Helinox Cot One was rough. The cot fit, but just barely, and it couldn't be rotated for disassembly very easily.
- Best tent out there. Tested. Just buy it.
Likes: Bought this tent after trying a Marmot Tungsten 2p and the high end Mountain Hardware Ghost UL2. This tent blows the two out of the water in every category.
Just got back from a three day trip to Big Bend. We camped right on the ridge the first night and woke up to 60mph winds at 2am. The tent handled it SO well. The new design of the poles create much more stability than the previous year's model. BA also added more guy points that all have lines already attached and really easy to use tensioners which doesn't make it a pain to guy the tent well. All said you can setup and guy the whole tent in less than 5 mins.
On this trip my buddy had the 2016 model and noticed a little condensation while I didn't have any. Again, I would attribute less condensation to the taller tent body (new design) as well as the perfected guy points.
Dislikes: I was definitely concerned about the tent floor on the rocks of the ridge where we setup. I def recommend the footprint but it's not cheap! The other thing I will say is that when you want to roll the tent fly doors open the clip is positioned awkwardly. Makes rolling the doors open properly a little difficult. Maybe personal preference... overall super impressed.
Earn Gear Points for Reviewing Products
Join our FREE Inside Edge program and receive 20% off a full-price item. Earn discount points for reviewing items you purchase and receive exclusive discounts.
What are points?
As a member you can share reviews of items you purchase and we'll reward you with discount points valued at 5% of the item's original purchase price.
It’s EASY and it’s FREE.Sign Up Today »