With bolstered construction, the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV 3 Expedition tent boasts an impressive interior space-to-weight ratio and is designed to stand up to the demands of 4-season use and alpine conditions.
Stretching a full 88" in length, the interior of the tent is 70" wide at the head and tapers to a width of 62" at the feet. With 41 square feet of interior space, the tent offers ample room for three or serves as a super spacious shelter for two. Dual vestibules offer 18 square feet (9 square feet per vestibule) of additional weather-protected external storage space. Interior mesh pockets provide places to stash gear and clothes while media pockets located above the sleeping area enable headphone/ear bud cord routing from phones or other devices. Integrated gear loft loops offer a connection point for the Big Agnes Triangle, Trapezoid, Large Trapezoid, Wall, or Large Wall Gear Loft (all sold separately).
The tent’s DAC Featherlite NSL aluminum poles are lightweight but also extremely durable. The hubbed design works in conjunction with the tent body's integrated clips to make setting up the tent fast, easy, and intuitive. An additional short section of pole runs across the roof of the tent and connects easily via an innovative attachment that pulls the tent body taut, increasing the verticality of the interior walls and helping to maximize the spaciousness of the vestibules. Aluminum J stakes are included to further secure the pitch of the freestanding tent. Oversized, reinforced stake out loops also enable you to utilize skis, ice axes, or ski poles in place of stakes.
The body of the tent is constructed of ripstop nylon and polyester mesh. Anticipating challenging conditions, the rainfly is a silicone-treated patterned ripstop nylon made from a high-tenacity, high filament-count yarn that has excellent tear strength and water-resistance. The ripstop nylon floor has a 10,000mm waterproof polyurethane coating to fend off moisture. All of the tent's seams are seal-taped with waterproof, solvent-free (no PVC or VOCs) polyurethane tape to further protect the tent from the elements.
The optional Copper Spur HV 3 Expedition Footprint (sold separately) can be used to offer additional protection beneath the tent and extend the life of the tent's floor.
- Reinforced design based on the features the award-winning Copper Spur HV UL tents
- 4-way high volume hub design increases strength by 25% and the usable interior volume by 20% when compared to previous versions of the Copper Spur
- Sturdy pole architecture provides a strong structure for wind and snowload capacity
- Two doors featuring windows with two closure options: mesh only for ventilation or zip up the nylon layer for complete closure
- Large dual zipper doors with discrete seams allows for easy entry and smooth closure
- Quick Stash on tent body door makes stowing unzipped door quick and easy
- Proprietary random rip-stop pattern nylon is 25% stronger providing maximum durability
- Breathable nylon body adds an extra layer of protection against the elements
- Large closable ceiling window/vent provides venting as well as optional storage space
- Media pockets located above sleeping area enable clean ear bud cord routing from phones or other devices
- One fly vent and low vent option on vestibules provide improved airflow
- Velcro tabs connect fly to pole structure providing perfect pitch and extra stability
- Pre-cut Dyneema guy lines and tensioners attached to fly
- Dual, equalized guy-out loops for added stability and strength in high winds
- Reflective Dyneema guy lines and webbing on tent corners
- Interior guy loops lets you brace for extremely windy conditions
- Easy grip zipper pulls and glove friendly toggles and buckles
Best Use Backpacking, Mountaineering Warranty Limited Lifetime Packed Size 9.5" x 22" Average Min Weight 5 lb, 11 oz Average Packed Weight 6 lb, 7 oz Interior Height 41" Floor Area 41 sq ft Floor Dimension 90" x 70" (at the widest point) Vestibule Area 9 sq ft + 9 sq ft Doors 2 Pole Type DAC Featherlite NSL aluminum Freestanding Yes Clips or Sleeves Clips Interior Storage 10 Interior Pockets, 2 Media Pockets, and Gear Loft Loops (gear loft sold separately) Material Fly: Silicone-treated ripstop nylon w/1200mm PU
Floor: Nylon ripstop w/10000mm PU
Body: Ripstop nylon and polyester mesh
Real Customer Reviews
- Nice Design - Very Poor Construction
Likes: The design of the tent is good with a reasonable amount of room for 2 campers.
Dislikes: I used the tent 2 nights camping with a night time temperature of 28 oF. The tent did a good job protecting me from the wind. I did wake up to a lot of condensation as one would expect. I will tell you that my Hubba Hubba has never had any condensations issues regardless of the conditions - realize you are buying a tent with very little breath-ability.
My issues with the tent has to with the quality of construction. My 1st tent body had a lot of loose thread and poor weaving. Pictures were taken and sent back to Big Agnes - they did replace the tent body with the 2nd being marginally better. Additionally I found there customer service to just be ok. The team at Big Agnes is slow to act. Also realize that you will purchase a tent with plastic links that connect to the poles. These connecting points are delicate and if they break while camping you are in trouble. Getting them replaced will require sending the tent back to Big Agnes.
All this said I returned the tent and have abandoned Big Agnes. I abandoned them because they make Chinese constructed products that do not justify the premium price and really below average customer service.
- 4 season light tent!
Likes: Great value for a 4 season light tent. Great for multi-day ski trips and doesn’t break the bank as much as comparable tents. Well thought out and great materials.
Dislikes: Still breaks the bank
- Light weight 4 season tent. Looking forward to validate all the nice features and specs by BA on multiple climbs and backcountry trips this fall in CO and WA.
Likes: Light weight, easy to stand up and put down, and the semi-vertical walls make huge difference in the room space inside.
Dislikes: Opening the zipper could be challenging sometimes to operate in one hand, but not bad enough to discourage you from having the tent for all the other good features.
Earn Gear Points for Reviewing Products
Join our FREE Inside Edge program and receive 20% off a full-price item. Earn discount points for reviewing items you purchase and receive exclusive discounts.
What are points?
As a member you can share reviews of items you purchase and we'll reward you with discount points valued at 5% of the item's original purchase price.
It’s EASY and it’s FREE.Sign Up Today »